Short update: while there isn’t a new version to play, I have made a lot of progress now that our mini-heatwave has passed. Specifically, the “max random buy” algorithm now plays action cards in sensible way, and can string cards together into combos. And I’ve managed to avoid hard coding any card priority lists, etc. Instead, it randomly simulates the effects of playing different cards and picks the one which has the best pay-off at the end of it’s turn. This has a few weaknesses:
- the AI wouldn’t know what to do with attack cards, as it doesn’t place any value on making the other players pick up curses
- it would never play a chapel, as there’s no immediate pay-off that turn.
- now and then, it plays a smithy instead of a village (it should always play village first)
I’m currently in the process of implementing the thief card, which
- makes the Big Money strategy less effective.
- forces me to think about how I’m organising my code, as thethiefcard is more complicated
- means I can also add the moat card, which is a nice and simple card. And also cheap!
Hopefully i can get the new version up sometime later this week.